Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Toni's pick for the first week of March - Grapes
All grapes in stock are on sale this week. Need to know how to grow grapes? Here are 5 easy steps to get you started.
1. select the type of grape you will use, either eating grape or wine grape.
2. in your garden find an area which gets full sun and ample heat for the best fruit production.
3. amend your soil as deep as possible with E.B. Stone Planting Compost, grapes like loose fast draining soil.
4. be sure you have a trellis or other type of support for the vines, you want to keep the fruit off the ground.
5. your grapes are produced on older wood so when pruning during the dormant season cut the smooth stems and keep the older ones which are rougher.